Plastic Bag Regulation by Producer Responsibility | Plastic Bag Ban Report
A bill in the Illinois State Legislature this session, if passed, would create the Illinois Plastic Bag and Film Recycling Act.
If the bill becomes law, plastic bag manufacturers would have to meet several requirements in order to do business in the state of Illinois. The State of Maryland is considering very similar legislation.
The Act would mandate that plastic carryout bag manufacturers:
- Register with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA)
- Pay the IEPA an initial registration fee
- Pay the IEPA an annual registration renewal fee
- Could not sell or offer to sell a plastic bag in the State unless the name of the manufacturer is printed on the bag
- Develop an IEPA approved plan for the recycling of plastic carryout bags and plastic film product wrap
- Produce bags to a specified percentage of post-consumer recycled content if to be sold in the state
Filed by State Senator Terry Link, the bill is now in Assignments.
Lake County, Illinois passed a similar bill in 2007 which became law in 2008. That bill also created the Plastic Bag Recycling Task Force. Learn more about Lake County's Plastic Bag & Film Recycling program.