1st Town in North America to Ban Plastic Bags | Plastic Bag Ban Report
June 11, 2012 (PBBR) - Leaf Rapids, Manitoba, Canada was the first town in North America to ban plastic bags. On March 22, 2007, the Mayor and Municipal Council met at 12:01 am and unanimously approved By-Law 462, legislating a ban on single-use plastic shopping bags.
The City of San Francisco, California, USA, soon followed by passing a plastic bag ban on March 27, 2007. These two cities spawned the environmental movement to ban single-use plastic shopping bags across North America.
The city of Thompson, some 260 km south of Leaf Rapids, also passed the Single-Use Plastic Bag Ban which took effect December 31, 2010.
Town of Leaf Rapids
Leaf Rapids is a planned town. Built in 1971 as a model for other northern towns, the government of Manitoba participated directly in the planning of the community. Located along the Churchill River and close to Ruttan Lake, the community was built with the environment in mind and a deep respect for the wilderness.(1)
Learn more by visiting the town of Leaf Rapids website.
Leaf Rapids Plastic Bag Ban By-Law:
TOWN OF LEAF RAPIDS
By-Law No. 462
Being a By-Law of the Town of Leaf Rapids for the establishment of Single Use Plastic Shopping Bags.
WHEREAS Single Use Plastic Shopping Bags are a very visible component of litter throughout the Town of Leaf Rapids, lake side, trails, roadside and the nuisance grounds;
AND WHEREAS Single Use Plastic Shopping Bags have a negative impact on our wildlife habitat and are not environmentally friendly;
AND WHEREAS the Town of Leaf Rapids incurs a significant cost to clean up the Single Use Plastic Shopping Bags each year;
AND WHEREAS local businesses can reduce merchandise cost by not having to purchase Single Use Plastic Shopping Bags;
AND WHEREAS the Town of Leaf Rapids has provided education to shoppers and school children about the environmental advantages and reduced cost of using reusable shopping bags;
AND WHEREAS by using a multi-use shopping bag, residents are reminded of the positive impact of recycling;
NOW THEREFORE upon passing this By-Law, the Council of the Town of Leaf Rapids, enacts as follows:
1. THAT the Town of Leaf Rapids will be Single Use Plastic Shopping Bag free effective April 2, 2007.
2. THAT retailers in the Town of Leaf Rapids will not be permitted to give away or sell plastic shopping bags that are intended for single use.
3. THAT a person who contravenes this By-Law of the Town of Leaf Rapids is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction of a fine of not more than $1000.00.
4. THAT where a contravention continues for more than one day, the person is guilty of a separate offence for each day it continues.
5. THAT on passing of this By-Law, By-Law No. 457 is hereby rescinded.
6. DONE AND PASSED as a By-Law of the Town of Leaf Rapids at the Townsite of Leaf Rapids, in the Province of Manitoba, this 22nd day of March, 2007, A.D.
EXEMPTIONS TO THE BY-LAW
Small plastic bags that are used to store non-packaged goods such as: a) Dairy products b) Fruit, vegetables or nuts c) Confectionery d) Cooked foods, hot or cold e) Ice f) Smaller bags for fresh meat, fish, candy and poultry g) Bags that cost more than $1.50
Chief Administrative Officer
Read a first time this 21st Day of March, 2007, A.D.
Read this second time this 21st Day of March, 2007, A.D.
Read this third time this 22nd Day of March, 2007, A.D.
(1) Town of Leaf Rapids